[PADG:1112] Re: Goo Gone

Victoria,
Staff in our music library asked a while ago about using Goo Gone to remove adhesive labels from CDs. I did not fnd any more technical info than you did. Our conservator and the librarian who manages our audio preservation lab both recommended against using it.

There's a something in the University Products and Gaylord catalogs that I haven't tried or researched but I'm interested in learning more about since one catalog lists it as having passed the photo activity test. The product is Un-du Adhesive Remover. I'm skeptical about putting it on any kind of paper or cloth but if it really has passed the PAT it might be OK for some purposes. I'm particularly curious about its safety for CDs and DVDs. Maybe others on the list know something about it?
Andy

Victoria Heiduschke wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for some information about Goo Gone, a product made by the Magic
American Corporation that is used to remove stains, grease, stickers, tar,
gum, crayon and tape. According to the manufacturer "citrus power and
scientific technology combine to defeat the toughest stains". The MSDS
provided by the manufacturer states the ingredients are "Proprietary Mixture
(Citrus and Petroleum Solvent-Based Stain Remover).

Anyone have any experience with Goo Gone, or know of any testing that's been
done on it with respect to its use on library materials?

Thanks so much for the help!

Victoria

Victoria Heiduschke
Preservation Librarian