[PADG:1110] Re: Goo Gone

We use Goo Gone to clean cables and equipment that has been tagged/labeled with tape. As Ellen says, it leaves an oily residue, so we always follow with some dishwashing liquid to remove the residue.

While Goo Gone may be a major improvement over acetone-based commercial adhesive removers (and it does do well with latex paint and chewing gum, as this parent of small children has found out...), I concur with Ellen: avoid it for preservation purposes. But you might find uses for it at home!

best,

Hi Victoria:

I've encountered Goo Gone at a local pottery store. They use it to remove price tags from pottery purchased for gifts. Goo Gone is really smelly (citrus) and oily. Whenever I purchased a gift for wrapping at this particular shop I worried that the residue from Goo Gone would 1) harm the pottery and 2) smell awful to the person opening the gift. I have no evidence that either of these worries are founded---but my instincts tell me Goo Gone is not something we would employ for preservation purposes. Other than these rather pedestrian observations, I don't know of research on Goo Gone.

Good luck!

Ellen

Hello,

I'm looking for some information about Goo Gone, a product made by the Magic
American Corporation that is used to remove stains, grease, stickers, tar,
gum, crayon and tape.  According to the manufacturer "citrus power and
scientific technology combine to defeat the toughest stains".  The MSDS
provided by the manufacturer states the ingredients are "Proprietary Mixture
(Citrus and Petroleum Solvent-Based Stain Remover).
Anyone have any experience with Goo Gone, or know of any testing that's been
done on it with respect to its use on library materials?
Thanks so much for the help!

Victoria

Victoria Heiduschke
Preservation Librarian
Milner Library
Illinois State University
Campus Box 8900
Normal IL 61790
(309) 438-7463
vheidus@xxxxxxxxx

--
Ellen Cunningham-Kruppa
Director

--
Nominated for Grammy Award 2003:Best Classical Album
Philadelphia Orchestra, Schumann Orchestra works

George Blood
Safe Sound Archive
George Blood Audio, L.P.
21 West Highland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA  19118
(215) 248-2100 (v)
(215) 242-2177 (f)

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately. Neither the sender, his or her employer nor any affiliated entity is liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.