[PADG:1070] NEW and RESERVE labels

All,

I would like some feedback from the group regarding a question asked of me by the Access Services Team (AST)  here.  They would like to have a better way (than we do now) of indicating on the spine of a volume if it is on Reserve or is New.  They would like to labels (which must be on the spine, above the permanent call number label) to adhere well but then come off 2 months (for New) or a semester (for Reserves) later without leaving a sticky residue.  We would like to also keep the cost relatively low.

The AST and I have been looking at samples from various vendors for months now and not finding anything that works well. Shape is an issue (square or rectangular seem to lift off at the corners quicker) and the temporary adhesive used in several of the samples failed after the first circulation.)  I have searched the PADG archives using the terms 'stickers' and 'labels' and found nothing that really addresses this question.

May I ask what your Library uses and if you approve of it, preservation wise, can you please let me know?

Please contact me off list and I will summarize if there is interest.

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathleen L. Martyniak
Head, Preservation Department