[PADG:1060] Potential position for paper conservator

The University of Pittsburgh is optimistic about receiving grant funding
to provide for the creation of an ongoing preservation program to stabilize and prepare maps from the CONSOL Energy Inc. coalmine map collection for scanning as well as improve housing to further protect the artifact for future use. To this end, the University hopes to hire a professional paper conservator to carry out duties which will include reviewing the maps, assessing their condition, designing an appropriate treatment strategy and executing the conservation work on the maps in preparation for scanning.

The CONSOL Energy Inc. maps are printed on a variety of media, however, this project would focus on the "hardbacks." The "hardbacks" consist of approximately 600 maps drawn on paper adhered to linen cloth dating from 1854 to 2002. In many cases these “hardbacks” are the most complete, if not only existing, map of some of the older mine works.

Contingent upon grant funding, this one year project is scheduled to begin this summer/early fall with possibility of extension. Please contact me if you or someone you know might be interested in applying for this paper conservator position when posted and I can provide more details. We expect to hear from the funding agency by the end of June.

Best,
Jean Ann

Jean Ann Croft
Preservation Librarian