[PADG:908] Re: Mechanical Damage to DVDs

There is a known flaw in Microsoft's Xbox products that causes the scractches described in the earlier message. It was referred to as the, "Ring of disc death" and Xbox annoyance #8. There is also a picture of the scratches. http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/07/ring-of-disc-death-xbox-360-annoyance-008/

Here is a reference from cnn.com. http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/2002/fyi/news/04/10/japan.xbox/

A lot of the information out there does seem anecdotal, but one person claimed to be able to duplicate the problem consistently. Evidentally the problem occurs when the Xbox is moved while the disc is in motion, either by physically moving the machine itself or by vibration in the environment around it (i.e. people running by, bouncing on the furniture, demolition sites nearby :> ). I would imagine most dorms would have a lot of activity that might exacerbate the problem.

Ann Duncan-Gibbs
Preservation Dept.
Northwestern University Library

I have a question from one of our residence hall libraries about a
circulating DVD collection (appended below). Apparently, they are receiving

many returned with very deep circular scratches that frequently render the
discs unreadable. They are speculating that students are using their gaming

systems to play the discs, rather than a conventional DVD player. Has
anyone heard of similar problems with their collections?

Tom

-----
I'm wondering if you encounter DVDs with deep, circular scratches.  It's
become quite a problem for us, sometimes a DVD is rendered totally
unuseable
after only one check-out.  Clearly the scratches are not the result of
being
dropped or tossed into a backpack because of the totally symmetrical
patterns.  The scratches are too deep to be cleaned.

I've asked [others] who have their own DVD collections, but no one seems to

have this problem but
me.  I'm wondering if it is the result of people using their gamestations
play DVDs, as I know they can be harsher on  DVDs than CD-ROMS.  Apparently
CD-ROMS have a thicker chemical coating than makes them not as fragile as
DVDs, according to some websites I've read.

Head of Preservation and Assistant Professor, John "Bud" Velde Endowed Professorship University Library 246F Main Library University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 1408 West Gregory Drive Urbana, IL 61801

Telephone:      217-244-8755
Fax:            217-244-4358