[PADG:718] Voyager Binding Module (Instructions for Use)

Some time ago, I sent out a message about using Voyager's Binding Module for in-house management of binding information. Most of the responses that I received were not too positive, but our working group continued examining the module in order to determine its usefulness for implementation at UIUC. After much back and forth, we developed a set of instructions that permit our unit libraries to identify checked-in items for binding, create the item records, and develop an edited and printed pull slip to replace the handwritten streamers that unit libraries have used for years.

To date, we have trained about half of our departmental libraries to use this. While it is not the perfect system (there are some buttons that we have absolutely, positively forbidden folks to touch), it has resulted in three distinct benefits: While there are a few tricks and cheats discovered since this has been implemented, the attached step-by-step instructions generally cover everything that is needed.

If anyone is interested in discussing this further, please feel free to drop me a line.

Tom Teper

Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL      61801

Telephone:       217-244-8755
Fax:              217-244-4358