[PADG:674] Hurricane Katrina Report

Hurricane Katrina Preservation Assessments in Mississippi

Between September 14th and September 16th approximately two weeks following Hurricane Katrina, Ann Frellsen, collections conservator at Emory University, and Christine Wiseman, preservation services manager at The Georgia Archives, conducted assessments of archives and historical repositories in the three coastal counties of Mississippi damaged by Hurricane Katrina.  We were among the first to look at the conditions of important records in the areas most devastated by the hurricane.

Under the auspices of the Mississippi Archives, a small team visited nineteen sites that included public libraries, city halls, court houses, historical societies, museums, and private collections.  Because of time constraints, we focused on examining damaged permanent and vital records in government facilities, and on local history and genealogical collections held in public libraries.  In nearly every instance, preventing or halting mold growth was a major concern, given the lack electrical power and the expectation that power would not be available for several more days or weeks.

In some cases we were able to confirm or discount earlier reports of damage.  Public libraries in Bay St. Louis and Pascagoula, for example, were already on their way towards recovery, despite earlier reports of severe damage to their collections.  Mold remediation and building drying activities, such as removing wet carpeting and drywall, were already underway.  In the case of the Pascagoula Public Library, only several hundred volumes of replaceable materials were lost.  Staff were concerned about the condition of the local history and genealogy collection, which was expected to remain in the building without power for several more weeks.  The Biloxi Public Library suffered extreme damage to their general collection; the focus was on salvaging as much of the local history collection as possible.

Some government buildings had basic services restored and were open to the public. Moss Point City Hall and Hancock County Court House in Bay St. Louis, for example, were open to the public, despite the damp and moldy volumes air drying in their hallways.  We were told that “an official” had told people that everything submerged in the floodwaters had to be thrown out.  That directive may have caused vital records to be discarded before we arrived. We noted the amounts of damaged materials at all sites, so that the plans could be made for freezer trucks and climate controlled storage.

In all cases we talked to staff about the importance of taking personal safety precautions and trained people to use on using respirators properly.

Many organizations are in dire need of freezing capabilities, particularly for materials that were submerged in the flood water.  In addition, there is a great need for assistance to private collections that are not eligible for federal funding.

We have learned that some of these materials have since been taken to climate controlled storage.  Unfortunately Hurricane Rita is delaying recovery efforts.  As conditions improve and more services are restored, more teams can continue to go into the devastated communities. Gasoline availability and the lack of accommodations for visitors may continue to hamper preservation efforts.

Ann Frellsen

Christine Wiseman

Christine Wiseman

Preservation Services Manager