Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:31:01 -0400
From: Karen E Brown <KEBrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:627] Summary -- ILLiad stickers

Dear PADG: I had a few excellent responses to my inquiry about the use
of bands, vs. stickers, with ILL materials. While I don't have any hard
numbers, I thought I would summarize your input for the list.

*	The University of California, Davis does not have specific
instructions not to use stickers. If a borrowing institution uses
stickers they are asked not to, and usually cooperate. If they do not UC
Davis no longer will lend them materials. They feel that it is good to
raise this topic periodically because they feel that the use of stickers
is on the rise.
*	Columbia University uses bands, and their head of ILL has not
run into any problems with other libraries. Yale uses bands and their
ILL staff feel that most places are using bands. The occasional sticker
does come through. The only time they notice little or no damage to
their holdings is when the sticker is applied to buckram.
*	MI State uses bands with their statewide borrowing system and
have specifically asked libraries not to use sticky labels. Like the
University at Albany, they have had at least one experience where a
borrower has put a sticky label on a book and not removed it, so we know
that although we have asked that stickies not be used, they may be used
anyway. Again, Southern Illinois University states: ""I would definitely
not want another library to use stickers on our materials without our
knowledge."
*	The Navy War College in RI suggested that the ALA guidelines
should specify that sticky labels not be used. Yale also feels that the
use of bands should be mandatory. Note that there is the Interlibrary
Loan Code for the US that RUSA revised/approved in 2001. Section 4.13
reads "The requesting library should package material to prevent damage
in shipping and should comply with any special instructions stated by
the supplying library." Southern Illinois University uses bands and said
something very smart:  "I feel efficiency is important but not at the
'expense' of a library's materials."

In sum:

*	Most libraries seem to be using bands and borrowers are usually
cooperative.
*	The use of sticky labels should be specifically prohibited and
ALA should have this in their ILL guidelines.

Perhaps PARS should work with RUSA on the next update?

I hope this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to continue posting your
ideas on this topic to the list.

Regards,

Karen E.K. Brown
Preservation Librarian