[PADG:626] ILLiad stickers

Karen,

I asked our head of Access Services, Gail Nichols, for her input on the
use of ILL stickers, and this is her response:

Our lending instructions to libraries who borrow our materials do not
include specific information about not applying stickers to our books,
though we do communicate with any library that returns material to us that
has a sticker on it or where we can see that a sticker has been applied.
Our communication method is a phone call, and the usual response is that
the institution will add us to their list of libraries that do not allow
the application of stickers to their books. This usually works. If we do
not get cooperation, we will add the library to our list of libraries to
whom we do not lend.

We occasionally see them on books sent to us for UCD borrowers. We leave
them in place and put paper book bands over the owning library's sticker.

If we see an increase in the use of stickers, we will include specific
instructions on outgoing material. Our ILL staff has seen damage to covers
from stickers, and I contribute to discussions at national ILL meetings
whenever this issue is raised. Illiad, one of the ILL management systems,
now marketed aggressively by OCLC, has the sticker capability, so we may
well see an increase in their use. It is good to raise this topic
periodically. The use of stickers on covers, especially in public
libraries for date due stamps, is pretty common, so it's not surprising
that libraries don't see a problem with it. If a library isn't really
looking at its collection as a permanent collection, the way a research
library does, it probably doesn't see any harm in using stickers on
covers.

Charlotte
Charlotte Payne
Preservation Department, Shields Library, 100 North West Quad,
University of California, Davis, CA 95616
phone 530.752.6040 // fax 530.754.8785
clpayne@xxxxxxxxxxx