[PADG:600] Re: Liaison to the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA)

Joan and All,

Larry Heiman (larry.heiman@xxxxxxxx) is currently our liaison to CC:DA and we absolutely do have a cataloging related group, the Intellectual Access Interest Group with members that have included Tyra Grant, Carol Unger, and Atalanta Grant-Suttie.  I believe that it is critical that Preservation stay involved with cataloging.  I keep hearing that "brief records" are the coming solution for backlogs, just when materials are being sent to off site storage and the catalog with be the ONLY access to items.  Furthermore, if the trend is to weed down to last copies in shared off-site storage, then having preservation information in the records (deacidified or early publishers binding, for example) perhaps there is more chance of the best last copy surviving.

So I believe that PARS needs that liaison to the new cataloging group and has a perfect right to it, considering the renewed and enthusiastic activity of the Intellectual Access Interest Group as well as Larry's conscientious participation.  If Larry wants help or to rotate off, it might be coordinated with the Intellectual Access Interest Group.

Best,

Yvonne

Joan Gatewood wrote:

Folks:  I just received the attached letter and qualifications for Liaison to the above committee.  I have two questions.  The first is who is our Liaison now?  And two is this something we should be concerned about.  If yes, why?   Joan

Joan Gatewood, PARS Chair

--
Yvonne Carignan
Head of Preservation