[PADG:565] Re: treating mold in archives and book collections

I am travel and will be returning to the National Archives at College Park, MD on Monday, July 18.

Please direct immediate questions to Clarence Simmons who will be Acting Director, Preservation Programs in my absence: clarence.simmons@xxxxxxxx .  301-837-2982

If there is a records emergency, please contact NARA security at 301-837-2900.  Security will contact the Records Emergency (Beeper) Response Team.

Doris A. Hamburg
Director, Preservation Programs
National Archives and Records Administration

>>> padg 07/14/05 18:15 >>>

Dear Patti,

about "experience treating mold on archives and
bound materials in house," we are in the process
of setting up a room at the HRC that will be
dedicated to cleaning mold-contaminated
collection materials. It is scheduled to be
operational by the end of the summer at which
time I will have more details. Our conservation
and administrative staff has just begun working
with the University Environmental Health and
Safety Department (EHS) and HVAC engineers and
this outside input has been enormously helpful.

The mold remediation room will be equipped with
an, as yet undetermined, air ventilation and
filtration system. The system should contain the
mold and remove particulates from the room air.
The addition of localized equipment in the
workroom has also allayed EHS concerns that
operation of the fume hood could heat up the
workspace making it uncomfortable or worse for
staff.

(Originally it was thought that use of a fume
hood would be sufficient to contain the mold
during cleaning; but because oversize works of
art as well as paper documents and books will be
cleaned in this room, the additional air
filtration system was found to be necessary. We
had also planned on installing a germicidal UV
fixture in the room, as they do in the university
mycology labs, to reduce the level of viable mold
spores. By adding the air filtration system to
reduce the levels of mold in the room, EHS felt
that germicidal UV lamps were not needed. [EHS
had expressed concern about the use of UV lamps
due to recent eye damage to several university
staff caused by UV exposure.])

The walls of the mold remediation room will be
painted with a washable gloss paint to facilitate
cleaning. The paint will be mixed with Interceptü
a mold inhibitor.

We will remove mold from collection materials in
a ductless fume hood, unless the item is too
large to fit into the hood. Depending on their
physical condition, we will clean documents by
aspirating with a HEPA vac using micro tools.
When cleaning books, a magnetic wiping fabric,
such as the Dust Bunnyü, or a soot sponge is used
after aspiration.

While cleaning, staff will wear personal
protective gear including Tyvekü coveralls and
hats, booties, goggles, nitrile gloves and
respiratory protection- either an N95 mask or a
respirator.

Conservation staff generally cleans contaminated
materials. Unfortunately at this time, we have a
large quantity of moldy materials, so,
fortunately, we will be hiring additional staff
to work on a couple of remediation projects.

Following the cleaning of the mold contaminated
materials, our institution will have to work out
an approach to the storage and access of these
materials. There has not been research in our
field as to the effectiveness of our methods of
cleaning mold contaminated materials, although,
currently, it is assumed that mold cannot be
completely removed from the porous structure of
paper and book cloth. We also do not know how
long mycotoxins, antigens, or other irritants
found in mold metabolic parts remain viable and
could, therefore, cause health problems.

There is more information about how various
institutions treat mold-contaminated materials in
the recently posted responses to the "Survey on
Acquisition, Treatment, Access, and Storage of
Moldy Materials". The survey was posted on PADG
[2319] and Cons DistList (17:59) in March 2004.
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/primanis/mold_survey_summary_2004-10.html

I am sure that many of the commercial restoration
vendors have dealt with moldy materials. I have
had several discussions with Kirk Lively,
Director of the Technical Services Division, at
Belfor in Fort Worth and found him to be
knowledgeable about the general topic of mold
contamination of library and archive materials as
well as its removal.

Of the many information resources available, I
have learned a great deal about mold and its
remediation from the following texts:
-"Mould Prevention and Collection Recovery:
Guidelines for Heritage Collections" by Sherry
Guild and Maureen MacDonald (CCI 2004) gives
excellent info on cleaning mold contaminated
materials.
-"Fungal Facts" by Mary Lou Florian (Archetype Books, 2003)
-"Bio Aerosols Assessment and Control" (ACGIH 1999)

Good luck,
Olivia