[PADG:496] The Etherington Conservation Center acquired by The ICIGroup

The Etherington Conservation Center acquired by The ICIGroup

June 6, 2005 – Greensboro, NC

The Etherington Conservation Center is pleased to announce it has once again become a wholly owned subsidiary of The ICIGroup (ICIG), www.theicigroup.net.  The center will establish new offerings and a broad array of services to its clients under the new name Etherington Conservation Services (ECS) www.etheringtoncs.com

Services

As a member of The ICIGroup, the ECS organization will maintain its wide ranging  professional conservation services plus we anticipate adding new services in the future to better assist our clients’ evolving conservation needs.  ECS currently offers conservation treatment of books and bound material, of art on paper, photographic materials, vellum and parchment.  In addition, we provide custom presentation bindings and enclosures, document reproduction, collection surveys, public records preservation, onsite training and public outreach.   Two of our new offerings include 1) an expansion of digital imaging services including the capability to digitize books without disbinding and 2) environmental monitoring services which incorporate the use of Image Permanence Institute’s Preservation Environment Monitor (PEM) and Climate Notebook® Software.  ECS also hopes to expand our points of service, bringing a more regional approach to our clients.  Specifically, ECS hopes to establish a treatment center on the west coast by early 2006.

Profile

ECS was originally established by ICI Binding (ICIB) and Don Etherington in 1987 as the Conservation Division of ICIB.  The Division was initially developed to provide preservation and conservation options as an extension of ICIB’s program of services.  The effort was the first successful commercial effort of its kind and grew from a small beginning of 3 conservators to over 25.  Don Etherington acquired the operation in 2001 and jointly marketed services with ICIB.  Today, ECS once again operates as part of The ICIGroup’s corporate family.

ECS will continue to develop its international reputation for excellence in the field of conservation of historic and artistic works.  ECS draws its expertise from an international staff educated in conservation and preservation from programs such as the Buffalo State University, Department of Conservation, Buffalo, New York, USA; Camberwell College of Arts, Camberwell Conservation Program, London, UK; University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK; University of Pittsburgh, MLIS Preservation Management Program, Pittsburgh, PA, USA; University of Texas at Austin, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Austin, TX, USA; University of North Carolina Greensboro, Museum Studies Program, Greensboro, NC, USA.

Standards

ECS and its conservation staff comply with the professional standards of the American Institute for Conservation (AIC).   Staff members hold current affiliations with professional organizations such as the AIC and its specialty subgroups, the Guild of Bookworkers, the Society of Bookbinders, the American Library Association, Institute for Paper Conservation, and Southeast Regional Conservation Association.  It is our goal to provide expertise in conservation and related preservation services in the professional manner that our clients have come to expect.

As a division of The ICIGroup, ECS plans to expand our service reach and further streamline certain operations in order to provide the most efficient, cost effective and highest quality preservation and conservation services in the market.

Michael K. Lee                                                                    Donald G. Etherington

Director of Conservation                                                   President

General Contact Information

Address:

Etherington Conservation Services

7609 Business Park Drive