[PADG:431] Re: Salvage priorities

  I've never seen a percentage.  Usually materials are prioritized be several factors - irreplacable, intrinsic value (including what is valuable as an exemplar, as well as market value), ease of damage/difficulty of recovery, copies elsewhere, etc. So it would vary a great deal by the type of archive and materials it contains.
  I've used a grid matrix to make recommendations, with value on one axis and potential for damage/recovery on the other.

Susan Knoer, MLIS
Special Collections Reference Archivist
Ekstrom Library
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
502/852-6752
502/852-8734 FAX
susan.marie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> cwiseman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/21/05 9:32 AM >>>
Is there a general recommendation for the percentage of a collection
that should be designated as priority for salvage in the event of a
disaster?  We are in the process of reviewing our holdings priorities as
part of updating the disaster plan.  If I had a ballpark number, say
10-15%, to cite it would help in convincing the staff to agree on a
realistic quantity of the collection to designate as priority.

Christine Wiseman
Preservation Services Manager
Georgia Archives
5800 Jonesboro Road