[PADG:419] [Fwd: Fwd: is your copy safe?]

This just came over a list-serve a little while ago. Intel is offering $10,000 on eBay for a copy of a 1965 issue of "Electronics" magazine in which what became known as Moore's Law was first published. They won't buy copies from libraries or museums unless they are the selling agent, but perhaps you want to check to see if your copies are still around.

Tom Teper

Hi everyone,

Thought you might want to know about the $10,000 offer by Intel for a copy of this 1965 issue of "Electronics" magazine.  Out of concern that this might encourage theft, we've pulled our copy from the shelf.

Karen Greig
Engineering Library
Stanford University

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 (SF Chronicle)
Intel offers $10,000 for Moore's Law article/Firm seeks pristine copy of founder's prescient words
Michael Kanellos, Cnet News.com

   Intel Corp. lives by Moore's Law, but it apparently doesn't have a copy of
the magazine in which the law was first laid down.
   The Santa Clara chip giant has posted a $10,000 bounty on eBay for someone
who can provide a pristine April 19, 1965, copy of Electronics magazine.
   That issue of the magazine contained an article by Intel co-founder Gordon
Moore that described how the number of components on integrated circuits
was doubling every year. The article became the foundation for his famed
dictum.
   "We have photocopies of the article but not the actual issue of the
magazine," an Intel spokesman said. "Gordon doesn't have it and the Intel
Museum doesn't either."
   Electronics magazine went out of business several years ago.
   Intel turned to the online auction site on Monday, posting a message on
eBay's Want It Now page offering $10,000 for a copy of the magazine in
mint condition. (The company may buy more than one copy but at a lower
price. Intel employees and their families are ineligible.)
   Moore's Law -- which has since been revised to estimate that the number of
transistors doubles every 18 months -- has been the cornerstone for the
information technology industry for decades as it has defined how products
can simultaneously drop in price while improving in performance. This has
created a situation in which users upgrade well before their equipment
breaks, a boon for the industry.
   Despite its historical significance, the article at the time wasn't
considered a monument.
   "I didn't think it would be especially accurate," Moore said in a recent
interview.
   Moore, 76, was born in San Francisco and received a bachelor's degree in
chemistry from UC Berkeley. He was research director at the Fairchild
Semiconductor division of Fairchild Camera and Instrument Corp. when he
wrote the Electronics magazine article in 1965, and in 1968 he co-founded
Intel.
Copyright 2005 SF Chronicle

Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL      61801

Telephone:       217-244-8755
Fax:              217-244-4358