From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Lorraine Olley
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:06 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:401] Green Press Initiative

Check out:

http://www.greenpressinitiative.org/

There appears to be a movement afoot once again to change the
composition of the paper used in publishing.  It does not appear that
permance/durability is a consideration for the Green Press Initiative,
whose mission is:  "to work with publishers, industry stakeholders and
authors to create paper-use transformations that will conserve natural
resources and preserve endangered forests."  [Note the absence of
libraries and librarians as stakeholders.]  The "Paper Use Standards" on
the web site make no mention of permanence/durability.

This resurfaced unpleasant memories for this graying former preservation
librarian of the GPO insistance on the use of recycled pulp in gov pubs,
which at the time we felt would adversely affect paper durability.  Is
there cause for alarm again?

Lorraine Olley
lolley@xxxxxxx