[PADG:347] Re: spine up versus spine down shelving

VCU Libraries does not shelve any materials spine up or down.  If the item does not fit on the shelf, it is routed by shelving staff to Cataloging where it is reclassed for the Oversize area.  Preservation then relabels the item and it is then shelved in Oversize.  We have not had to expand the Oversize areas that were established in 1990.  Our collection size is just under 2 million.

We do not make a distinction between "medium oversize" and "oversize".  It's either too tall for the shelf or it's not.  We do have an "Oversize 2" area in the Oversize shelving where supersize items are shelved flat.

Patricia

Cathleen Mook wrote:
All,

For decades, UF has shelved volumes that are too tall to stand up on their individual shelves spine up. (If the volume is really tall, we do have an oversize area, I am talking about medium tall things...)  I am trying to get this practice changed but the thinking that it is too hard and it takes too much time for the shelvers to do their job when the call number label is pointing down and not up is very ingrained here.  May I ask if anyone on the list has had success changing their local spine up shelving policy to a spine down shelving policy and if so, would they be willing to give me some specific advice?  I know it is going to be a matter of 'educate, educate, educate' but I seem to be hitting some road blocks...

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathleen L. Mook
Head, Preservation