From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cathleen Mook
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 4:51 PM
To: PADG (E-mail)
Subject: [PADG:343] spine up versus spine down shelving

All,

For decades, UF has shelved volumes that are too tall to stand up on their individual shelves spine up. (If the volume is really tall, we do have an oversize area, I am talking about medium tall things...)  I am trying to get this practice changed but the thinking that it is too hard and it takes too much time for the shelvers to do their job when the call number label is pointing down and not up is very ingrained here.  May I ask if anyone on the list has had success changing their local spine up shelving policy to a spine down shelving policy and if so, would they be willing to give me some specific advice?  I know it is going to be a matter of 'educate, educate, educate' but I seem to be hitting some road blocks...

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathleen L. Mook

Head, Preservation