[PADG:274] Edits

Ellen couple of quick edits on proposal, which I think looks good.

 1 - make sure to list Phil and Pat as "Co-PI's" -- right now that is not in
the narrative.

2- I would avoid saying we are creating a "doctorate in preservation
studies" which suggests we are creating a new PhD program. Rather, we are
recruiting into an existing program, but will be seeking graduates to
specialize in doctoral research on preservation-related issues

3. We have a technical problem with you being the doctoral advisor, sorry to
say. The Grad school will prevent anyone without a PhD from serving as such.
We may get around it with co-advising, I hope, but I would not say that we
are definitely going to admit one in preservation admin under you, one in
digital under Pat and one in policy under Phil....this is way too
restrictive if we end up with 3 great applicants in just one area and it
presumes that one person gets to select a student -- this is not how the
program works. Suffice it to say that we have a diverse and able faculty who
will serve, and that the school requires at least 3 faculty as initial
committee members, which ensures coverage and support. WE need to be clear
on this as we can neither commit to this as worded (if IMLS insist) nor
limit our choices or the choices of students so narrowly if we expect
success in the program.

3. Am unclear on the 2nd cohort idea - it does not mention funding and is
ambiguous enough to suggest we are committing to it, without extra
resources. Be careful - we cannot make such a commitment financially, though
we can obviously continue to attract students as usual.

4. Under personnel, you could list many other faculty. This shows
institutional commitment to the doctoral program and highlights the
diversity of faculty expertise in the general research arena.

Melba has the signed letter of support from me.

Best

Andrew Dillon
Dean and Professor
School of Information