[PADG:236] Update re. Univ. of Hawaii disaster

  UH has hired BMS CAT to handle dehumidification, air, electricity, and
building matters.  Initially we were fortunate to have a local co.
available for dehumidification of the upper floors.
  We pulled the last materials out on Sat. I have been somewhat
positively astonished at the condition of polyester maps and
encapsulated items after nearly a week in really bad conditions.  We
have been able to wash and dry the maps printed on polyester. Most of
the encapsulated maps were placed in the freezer for now.
  We have 5 freezer containers. This week I will be working on our plans
to treat materials.  We have very few books, and the ones we were able
to salvage were on the top shelves in Gov docs. They did not actually
get wet, and are only damp.  However, they were placed in the freezer
until we can take care of them.
  The largest collections are muddy, wet maps and aerial photographs.
We have frozen the maps, and have the aerial photos at 38 degrees rather
than freezing them.
  We know we have 90,000 aerial photos we do not have a count for maps.
Although I do have a count at work on how many map drawers we have.
With the maps we have 3 levels of priority for treatment.
  I will be doing some testing today on the recovering/washing the
aerial photos.  I moved a batch to our Wei To and increased the temp. to
50 degrees.  Randy Silverman at University of Utah spoke with Gary
Albright for me.  I understand the photos are the most challenging to
recover.    At least we do not have mold(from the disaster)on any items.
  Thanks to everyone for your support.  I check my email at home,
although it is quite full at the moment. The Library has done a fabulous
job of taking care of the workers.  We are fed and have water; a stress
management group is working with all of the staff; and I even had a
shiatsu massage, and took yesterday off.
lynn

Lynn Ann Davis
Head, Preservation Department
University of Hawaii at Manoa Library