From: Jacob Nadal [mailto:jnadal@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 11:53 AM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:212] week-ending high notes

I was having a discussion with a friend who teaches undergraduate
English and composition classes at Emory, and she mentioned
off-handedly that the part of one of her "get to know the library"
assignments that the students really enjoyed was using the microfilm.
My jaw dropped and I demanded to know more. Apparently all of the
"future generations, yet unborn" for whom we've been doing all this
preservation work have gone and gotten themselves born. And they seem
to be grateful! Here then, a sample of the responses she received from
students having their first encounters with the tiny wonder medium:

She writes:
   Well, they were looking at old newspapers. They were really into
seeing
   what kinds of things were happening, what kinds of things were
reported,
   and were fascinated by the ads. None of which is microfilm specific,
or
   course. But they seem glad to know how to use it now. Here's a quote
from
   one student's brief essay on the matter. It represents about a
quarter of
   what he wrote:

   "Preceding this assignment I had never heard of microfilm or much less
   had any idea how to use it. I actually found it quite fascinating
that it
   is possible to find virtually any article written in many major
   periodicals over the past couple centuries, and view it through a
   projector. Microfilm will largely come in handy while working on a
   project involving past events and various views on them. The fact that
   there are many different periodicals to choose from allows one to find
   different views on a topic that was covered by many different
writers. "

   and another:

   "Of all the assignments, I found the microfilm aspect to be the most
   difficult as well as the most rewarding. Simply put, I had absolutely
no
   idea how to use that machine. After many unsuccessful efforts and a
   consultation with a passerby, I was finally able to properly load the
   film into the machine. My troubles were not over, however. The film
   viewer conveyed the articles, but they were all upside down. It must
have
   taken at least ten minutes of fumbling around with buttons and dials
   until I located the proper knob to adjust the viewing angle. I believe
   that using the microfilm reader will prove to be the most useful
skill in
   my future classes. I was astonished to look at actual newspaper
articles
   from the 1950s. Microfilm, while not exactly a technological marvel,
will
   certainly add many depths and layers to my research in the years to
   come."

   and

   "The third assignment was definitely the most useful task during the
   project. The assistant helped me locate the microfilm of The New York
   Times and I continued picking out the appropriate date. After I
procured
   the correct microfilm, the assistant loaded the microfilm and briefed
me
   on how to use the device. After finding October 20, 1954, I focused
the
   image and began printing. I read some of the articles inside the
   newspaper and was intrigued by numerous things in the newspaper. The
   final assignment went by very quickly and I had no problems finding
the
   information."

TGIF, everyone,
Jake

Jacob Nadal
Head, E. Lingle Craig Preservation Laboratory
Indiana University Libraries
(812) 855-6281 | mailto:jnadal@xxxxxxxxxxx