[PADG:196] Re: Buckram for library book repair

Diane,
We have started using LBS poly-cotton C-cloth in place of D-grade buckram
for our in-house recasing. See http://www.lbsbind.com/
The cloth is sturdy, looks good, adheres with our PVAs, and is flexible
enough to work by hand. You may order the cloth in rolls, sheets, or
pre-cut sizes.

We also use the English finish buckram and it works well for us. We're
using up old stocks of this buckram; I'm not sure how much longer supplies
and color selection will be readily available on the market in the kind
of limited quantities a hand repair unit uses.

Shannon Zachary, Head, Conservation Services
Preservation Division, University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048
Phone: 734/763-6980 Fax: 734/763-7886