[PADG:2353] construction and dirt

Hi,
Yale is about to begin the Phase II of the their renovation of Sterling Library. This will include the undergraduate library, the connecting tunnel, a general lounge area which may be renovated into a cafe and some adjacent work and processing areas located in the basement of Sterling. The renovation will also impact areas in the nave/card catalog area of Sterling. The undergraduate library collection is being totally moved out of the area, so that is not an issue. As we are just in the process of finishing the cleaning the books in the stacks at Sterling, I am very anxious to not have any part of this cleaning effort undone. In theory the construction is well removed from the stacks, but I would very much like to have put into the construction contract language that requires the company to contain dust and clearly outlines how workers and supplies will come and go.

I know a lot of folks have had renovations over the years and certainly lessons must have been learned. Also, I am sure there are a few of you out there that "got it right" or pretty darn close to it when it came to protecting the collections. I would appreciate hearing from all of you.

Thanks.

Bobbie Pilette Preservation Department Yale University Library 130 Wall Street PO Box 208240 New Haven, CT 06520-8240

phone: 203-432-1714
email: roberta.pilette@xxxxxxxx