From: John F. Dean [mailto:jfd5@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 1:32 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:2342] Re: Environmental Monitoring Packages or Kits/shared
resources

Dear Patricia,
Cornell University is currently conducting workshops on environmental
monitoring and needs assessment.  The monitoring program is based on
InterNet dataloggers.  The South Central New York region currently has a
program based on Cornell's monitoring program that loans dataloggers to
libraries and archives in the region as part of the workshop program.  The
workshops began several years ago and is part of a series that includes
disaster and recovery, collection care, exhibition practices, mold control,
care of graphic materials, reformatting, etc.  New York State is unique in
that $500,000 per year of preservation funding is available among
non-comprehensive research libraries for preservation proposals from mainly
smaller libraries for a range of products and services, including
monitoring equipment.  NYS also makes available $126,000 per year to each
of eleven comprehensive research libraries with an additional $350,000
available for cooperative grants among the same libraries.

At 09:23 AM 4/12/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>I am going to try to put together a list of states and organizations
>that have environmental monitoring packages to be shared by libraries,
>museums and archives in their respective areas.  Would you please
>contact me off list if you know of such a package of equipment and
>supplies in your general area? Pat Morris
>
>Patricia Morris
>Faculty Director, Preservation Department
>University Libraries
>University of Colorado at Boulder
>184 UCB
>Boulder, CO 80309-0184
>303/492-3849 FAX 303/492-0494
>Patricia.Morris@xxxxxxxxxxxx

John F. Dean
Preservation and Conservation Librarian
Department of Preservation and Collection Maintenance
B32 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Telephone: (607)255-9687