[PADG:2317] preservation equipment needs

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to preservation and have to resolve an issue on which I've
done some reading/research but haven't yet found an answer.  I've got some
basic texts on preservation as well, but they appear to be fairly general in
scope.  Our preservation and conservation department needs to consolidate
our operations due to space issues.  We currently have 8 preservation
workstations, which we can reduce to 6, and are currently in the process of
moving cabinets to storage area nearby in our building (binders, board,
etc).  We've managed to open up some transitory workspace in an adjoining
workroom, and are looking to move some of our equipment to that area
(cutters, board shears, paper storage, nipping and casing presses).  We
currently have 5 nipping presses (16x2 - 5", 18.5x12 - 5", 11x16 - 4", 11x15
- 3" & 10x16 - 7") as well as 3 casing presses.  How much of this equipment
do other institutions use?  I'd like to move some presses to our transitory
space (adjoining room) and move the rest to the more remote storage space in
our building.   I'll be happy to receive replies off-list and summarize, and
can provide more information as well if need be.

Thanks in advance!

Stefanie DuBose
Head, Acquisitions
Joyner Library