[PADG:2314] Re: uncatalogued backlog condition surveys

To answer both Sherry and Deb's questions in one message, yes we are trying to coordinate our survey with the ARL efforts, and no, i didn't get a host of responses from my post of August 1, 2003.

unfortunately, we didn't get much feedback from the original PADG posting.  One woman had done a survey of a collections of uncatalogued bibles, but she didn't have much to add about it that varied from a more traditional condition survey.  I got a lot of feedback (relatively, that is, i only got about 6 replies) from folks talking about how to do a survey and the forms they use.  If other folks have done these, they didn't reply.  I did get one helpful message from Alison Walker of the national preservation office in the UK, stating that the NPO had experienced a difference in condition between catalogued and uncatalogued collections while doing their UK-wide preservation assessment of 50 libraries and archives.  She also pointed out the you cannot add the significance of the items into the survey if they are uncatalogued.  Her concern stated in the last sentence was echoed by Jan Paris.  I do believe that the survey is not a great tool to actually BASE repairs on, all it will do is give us a basic idea of the problems we'll be facing.  It will not give us enough information to actually devise a plan and start prioritizing, since we do not know the value or potential use of these items, both of which are key elements in prioritizing repairs.

Currently, we are approaching 70% completion on a survey of over 4,000 randomly sampled items.  Personally,  i think the survey will be very useful for us, since we are currently planning the development of a full conservation lab and staffing (and need to get an idea of what we'll be facing in the coming years), as well as planning for the submission of a potential grant for the cataloguing of our backlog (which will have a preservation component).  it has also clearly addressed the need for cleaning and boxing for a large number of the items.  However, i do not know that under different circumstances that the time involved in doing such a survey would give adequately useful results.   The graduate assistant working on the survey and i are currently drafting a publication on the design and implementation of the survey, but i'll be happy to share the survey tool if folks are interested.  it's a little too lengthy and at times a little ambiguous except to the GA who designed it, in my opinion.

About the ARL "exposing hidden collections" conference.  I was fortunate enough to attend this conference and discuss the survey we're doing.  Although people were interested in the survey, and preservation was certainly a concern for this materials, most agreed that some significance or value must be placed on the items first before any significant efforts on the part of preservation/conservation. should be expended.  The idea of doing a basic condition assessment while doing an inventory addressed this somewhat.  Everybody was in relative agreement that the first step that needs to be taken is to find out what's IN the collections/backlogs and then plan from there.  for a summary of the conference, see http://www.arl.org/collect/spcoll/ehc/info.html.  we hope that the data we draw from our survey can serve as a guide to other institutions as they plan for the preservation of similar backlogs, but we will not be able to address the use/value of the items surveyed until they are catalogued or thoroughly inventoried, which could be quite a time away.

hope this helps.

jennifer