[PADG:2262] Re: Theses and Dissertations

--- You wrote:
I am interested to know if any institutions are using, or are thinking
about using, UMI/ProQuest as the sole repository for theses and
dissertations.  (That is, abandoning print copies.)  Is anyone using
their "Current Research @" database as the sole electronic access to
theses and/or dissertations?
--- end of quote ---
We began the program in July 2003 and have gone from requiring 2 copies (1 archives, 1 department granting degree) to one copy for the college archives. The School of Graduate Studies was willing to go totally paperless but we thought it best that the archives keep one official paper copy on hand.   UMI's system for creating microfilm along with storing the digital copy seemed satisfactory but I couldn't imagine telling an alum that the college didn't have a copy of their dissertation on hand for them to show their spouse, child, grandchild...

My question is we now have about 8 digital disserations and are wondering...

Has anyone created a web space for them at their library?  We are in the early stages of trying to decide what to do with the electronic copy because we have not been happy with the ease of reaching the electronic version hosted by UMI.  We are thinking of making our digital copy available off the library server so a patron can reach it in one click from the catalog record.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Barb Sagraves
Preservation Services Librarian