[PADG:2220] RE: Fwd: FYI: New book binding machine

Barbara,

RE: new bookbinding machine (PADG 2216):

We’re not using it here at U. Florida yet, but …

The INTERNET ARCHIVE’s BOOKMOBILE has been using it for about two years now.

Here’s a URL for the binder: http://www.powis.com/products/model8.asp

More information about the bookmobile can be found at: http://www.archive.org/texts/bookmobile-in_it.php#hardware

Copies of the product were distributed at last year’s International Children’s Digital Library meeting in San Francisco.  The product, including printing, trimming, and binding took all of a few minutes per volume.  A 200+ page reprint of Alice in Wonderland cost under $1 including materials, labor, and the amortized cost of the bookmobile.  The product appears to be reasonably durable – certainly enough for on-demand reading and several re-uses.  Produced as consumables, the volumes will no doubt find their way into libraries, where they’ll fare no worse than the average paper-back if retained in paper format.  Binding margins are excellent – but depend upon the producer – enough to support rebinding if a library does decide to retain the paper reprint.  God help the catalogers!

The Bookmobile (http://www.archive.org/texts/bookmobile.php) is now a multi-national endeavor supporting inner-city and 3rd world literacy programs.  UF maintains an agreement with the Internet Archive to supply volumes from its Literature for Children (http://palmm.fcla.edu/juv/) for print on demand.

I’ve been investigating installation of a stationary “bookmobile” here.  Reports from contacts with the Internet Archive continue to confirm the average price – assume bitonal and grey-scale source files/images or bitonal or grey-scale printing.  At $1, this option puts the University’s DocTech system to shame (which is $10 on average).  My investigation has shifted to storage and maintenance costs, specifically the ratio of paper to digital (with data store in a trusted repository, cf, http://www.fcla.edu/digitalArchive/index.htm and redundant copy at the Internet Archive.  My cost analyses aren’t ready to share.

Why should library technical services units come to resemble Kinkos?

Why couldn’t we leverage our holdings with Kinkos and others for (trusted access but limited &) reasonably priced on-demand printing?  That is, why shouldn’t Kinkos continue to Kinko?

Yours,

Erich

Erich Kesse

Digital Library Center