[PADG:2155] Re: Preservation Survey Data Query

"The Yale Survey:  A Large-Scale Study of Book Deterioration in the
Yale University Library," by Gay Walker, Jane Greenfield, John Fox,
and Jeffrey S. Simonoff.  College and Research Libraries 46: 111-132,
Mar. 85.  Pp. 111-132.

It is not just a test of how brittle or acidic the paper in books
was.  It has a good broad scope.

If you want to really read up on this topic, you can come on down to
my house in Austin, Texas, and sit in my library and read, then
photocopy tables and stuff--but I don't lend books out to individuals
(except maybe through Interlibrary Loan).

Ellen McCrady, Editor

Hello All,

I am a library science graduate student at Simmons College working
on an Independent Study at Boston College in the field of
preservation. I am working with the preservation librarian to
conduct a general condition survey to be used as an
administrative/strategic planning tool; a tool to determine where
repair and preservation needs will be in the future.  This is not an
item-by-item condition survey, though that type of survey may be
conducted after this general survey based on the results of this
work.

We are using wireless technology in the stacks to enter the data
into an HTML form. This form sends the data to a Microsoft Access
database where it can be manipulated and studied.

Has anyone out there conducted this type of survey?  If so, what
kind of data did you collect?  What data do you wish that you had
collected or would have been useful later (this is the 'if you had
it all to do over again, what would you do differently' question).
How were you able to use the data?

If anyone has actual results, including methodology, that you would
be willing to send, that would be excellent.  You can contact me
directly or post it to the list.

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jill Jeffrey Lincoln