[PADG:2125] RE: prioritizing book repairs

For the rest, we take in both planned projects, and "haphazard" work.
Although these are small areas of activity statistically, they're often the
most important things we do. This is the work that is really visible to the
library system and campus.

As far as surveys and planned projects, I'd echo Shannon's comment that
smaller, more focused projects are the realistic way to proceed. We are
starting a general condition survey for the collections, but this is
intended to guide general planning efforts, not identify actual candidates
for treatment.

Planned projects have been carried out in our special collections for some
time, and we're starting to bring this to the general collections, as well.
This is being modeled on our mass deacidification projects, where a certain
amount of money and labor is set aside for special projects, collection
managers are asked to submit requests, and a small selection committee
reviews and prioritizes these (it's a fun committee, too - it convenes once
or twice, spends some money, and then disbands, never to meet again. I like
to use it as a tool to make sure everyone has a chance to get in on
preservation, without having to make a big commitment).

I also encourage our collection managers to send individual items for
treatment. This is partly a matter of good public relations, but also brings
in important work that the circ net won't pick up, or won't pick up at the
best time - gifts, books that will be receiving heavy use by an upcoming
class, or volumes that are needed by particular researchers, for instance.
There's no strict system of prioritization here - if it's important to them,
it's important to us. Sometimes they just send a favorite book over, or
discover some sort of tragedy in the stacks and ask us to help out. These
amount to a small percentage of our work, but generate a lot of good will
with the faculty and other librarians, and sometimes let us avert disasters
to be.

Hope this is of help,
Jake

Jacob Nadal
Head, E. Lingle Craig Preservation Laboratory
Indiana University Libraries

Auxiliary Library Facility
851 North Range Road
Bloomington, IN 47408