[PADG:2088] Re: CoLibri System

This is a copy of the information that I recently sent someone regarding
the Colibri book covering system.

At NYPL we will soon be going into our third year of using the Colibri
jackets.  We generally do not use them for our rare book collection. We do
use them on some older materials for divisions that specifically request
it. We have done a considerable amount of older and some red rot materials
for our Slavic and Baltic collection where they wanted to preserve the
original covers with Cyrillic text. For the most part we are covering books
added to the collection where the selector has requested to retain the book
jacket. Also, where a selector has requested us to protect a decorative
cover. We generally have four divisions that take advantage of this.
Theatre Collection, Photography, Art division and our comic/cartoon
collection.

Our Colibri machine basically replaced the use mylar to cover book jackets.
Since my unit basically works with matierials being  added to general
collections I do not know  how our special collections view this product.
In general rare and delicate items are placed in custom protective
enclosures for our special collections.

You can obtain much more information about the Colibri system from Jim Long
at  Book Binding Systems: 212 627-1982
Their web address is as follows:
http://bsc-ny.com/

Kenneth Springle
Head
Shelf and Binding Preparation
Barbara Goldsmith Preservation Division
The New York Public Library
Voice: 212 930-0070
Fax: 212 302-5328

kspringle@xxxxxxxx

                      "Winston Atkins"
                      <Winston.Atkins@d        To:       padg@xxxxxxx
                      uke.edu>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [PADG:2086] CoLibri System
                      owner-padg@xxxxxx

                      08/01/2003 04:17
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      padg

We're investigating using CoLibri for special collections
materials--probably 19C and 20C materials. Have any of you had any
experience with this system? If so, what are your thoughts about the
system? Do you have formal selection criteria to determine what items get
these covers and which do not?

Thanks,
Winston Atkins

Winston Atkins