[PADG:2081] conservator position at MSU

> 	ANNOUNCEMENT OF LIBRARY VACANCY
>
> 	TITLE:     Collections Conservator/Librarian I, LIB 102
>
> 	DESCRIPTION:   Reporting to the Assistant Director for Access and Preservation, the Collections Conservator is responsible for the physical care of a wide range of research materials in the Michigan State University Libraries.  The Conservator administers a comprehensive program to conserve materials held in the general and special collections, and performs a variety of treatments designed to stabilize and protect their condition.  Assignment will include treating unique and special collections materials. The Collections Conservator assists in managing and planning the conservation program, including: establishing conservation priorities within the Libraries; managing and planning treatment methods and procedures for circulating and special collections, training and supervising one half-time Book Repair Technician and student workers. Other duties include working with the Assistant Director for Access and Preservation on special projects, assisting with disaster preparedn!
ess and recovery, consulting with other library staff and providing training for branch library staff for minor repairs for their collections. May include an additional assignment in other areas depending on expertise.

> 	QUALIFICATIONS: Required: Master> '> s degree from an ALA-accredited program; knowledge of current conservation principles, practices, and procedures; demonstrated ability to work independently and productively; excellent oral and written communication; strong analytical and organizational skills; ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students and staff; preparation and commitment to engage in scholarly activities consistent with a librarian appointment; ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment.    Portfolio of work will be reviewed at the interview. Desired:  two or more years' experience in a conservation program for general collections; experience in treatment decision-making; experience in supervision; advanced knowledge of hand bookbinding techniques and principles.
>
> 	CAMPUS AND LIBRARIES:  Michigan State University Libraries serve more than 4,000 faculty and academic staff, 34,000 undergraduates and 9,000 graduate and professional students on a park-like campus of over 5,000 acres.  The Main Library and 10 branch libraries have combined holdings of over 4.5 million volumes.  East Lansing is a community of approximately 50,000 located adjacent to Lansing, the state capital.
>
> 	COMPENSATION: Minimum $40,000.   MSU provides generous fringe benefits.
>
> 	Closing Date:  Applications received prior to August 22, 2003 will receive priority consideration.
> 	Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
>
> 	Interested applicants should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and addresses of three references to:  Carole Armstrong, Libraries Human Resources, Michigan State University Libraries, 100 Library, East Lansing, MI  48824-1048 or fax them to:  (517) 353-8577, attention Diane. For information about this job search, e-mail mayers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mayers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, please include the LIB number from the top of the posting.
>
> 	For more information about Michigan State University Libraries, visit our website at: <http://www.lib.msu.edu/>
>
> 	Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation
> 	Michigan State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution

Questions regarding the MSU conservation program may be
directed to

Jeanne Drewes
Assistant Director for Access & Preservation
Michigan State University
100 Libraries  W108A
East Lansing, MI  48824-1048

(517) 432-6123 ext. 147