[PADG:2017] Re: shelf-bracing in earthquake zones

I think I heard someone talking about the Northridge shelving a few
years ago and my impression was that the did not use the requisite
number of bolts.  If that memory is correct, it may be an instance where
the California codes were in effect but the shelving contractor failed
to follow them. I hope one of our west coast peers will write to you
with more detailed and reliable info.
Andy

Fox, Lisa wrote:

I know we have a great deal of anecdotal info -- especially from our
California colleagues -- about what kinds of shelf bracing seems to be most
effective in preventing shelving collapse in seismic events.  But I need
written guidelines/codes/etc.  So far, I have located citations for
California's Title 24, and have a copy of UC-Berkeley's "Quake Bracing
Guidelines." But I recall folks -- especially after the Northridge
earthquake -- talking about the spacing of the channel braces, length and
number of bolts, and details such as that ... which I am not yet finding in
the literature.  If anyone can head me toward the light, I'll be grateful.

Many thanks --
Lisa

Lisa L. Fox, Senior Conservator
Local Records Preservation Program