[PADG:1886] Preservation Ergonomics at Princeton

I will not be al ALA, but I do want to share with you what Princeton has
done over the years regarding ergonomics and staff safety issues as well as
making accommodations for collections conservation staff who have may have
injured themselves on the job.

First, all collections conservation staff have a 1-inch thick pad at their
workstations to stand on when they choose to, versus choosing to sit and
work.  The pad does not cover the entire floor area of each workstation but
only part of it.  Our floors are vinyl tile over concrete and the pad
allows for much comfort during long periods of standing.  The staff seem to
divide their work and space up to accommodate whether or not something can
be done sitting (eg sewing) versus standing (eg case making).  These pads
are available from McMaster-Carr.

Second, we have purchased weights with handles.  Grasping a handled weight
is different from grasping a wrapped weight of an odd dimension.  These
weights are available from McMaster-Carr.  We modify them by padding the
bottom of each with felt.

Third, we have purchased step stools of various sorts for staff to rest
their feet on while standing or to stand on while retrieving books from the
higher shelves of the stacks in our office holding books waiting for repair
or for return.  Staff use these stools as well to gain advantage when
screwing down the bars of our desktop standing presses.  Short staff would
otherwise have to raise their arms above shoulder height to tighten the
screws, thereby opening themselves up to shoulder injury from the twisting
motion.  (This is also true when staff have to pull books down from shelves
above should height.)  Related to this, we have purchased, when available,
wheels to replace the straight bars on these presses, as the wheels are
grasped differently and allow grasping in multiple places along its
circumference.

Fourth, we have purchased scalpels with large plastic handles that are
easier and less stressful to grasp than regular scalpel handles.  Also,
scissors with bent/angled tips that allow cutting at a less acute angle
than straight-blade scissors.  There may be other examples as well that I
do not recall at the moment.

Fifth, our carpenter shop fabricated a portable work surface that can be
adjusted/pivoted to a range of angles for a staff member to bring the work
closer but at an angle that took the stress off her wrists during
operations such as cutting with the scalpel.

Finally, staff have had training from occupational health and safety staff
in the proper methods to work.  Staff who may have injured themselves from
work-related activities have received treatment and physical therapy from
our health services folk on campus as well.

Robert