[PADG:1798] hybrid approach

I have a question for the list related to the use of the hybrid approach in preservation microfilming/digitization. As we've begun to embark on a risk/benefit analysis of the use of digitization for access coupled with microfilming for preservation, questions have come up about cost as well as the methods used by our colleagues out there. The following questions have come up for us:

-How many preservation departments have employed the hybrid approach in their libraries? Are people using it routinely for general and special collections?
-Are most people generating a hard copy or are electronic copies usually used for access?
-Is most of the work being done via outsourcing, or are people doing alot of the work inhouse?
-Have people been more satisfied with digitizing from microfilm or filming from digital items?
-Have you found the costs to be prohibitive?

I'd appreciate any information you all can provide. Thanks very much -- Emily Holmes

Emily Holmes
Assistant Preservation Librarian
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library
70 Washington Sq. South