[PADG:1724] ALCTS/PARS Library Binding Discussion Group

ALCTS/PARS Library Binding Discussion Group Agenda

ALA Annual Conference
Atlanta, Georgia
Saturday, June 15, 2002
8:30-11am
Hilton Atlanta, Fulton Room

1. Announcements

2. News from LBI -- Joanne Rock

3. Updates from ILS Vendors related to binding interfaces
   A. Michael Kaplan -- Ex Libris
   B. Ted Fons -- Innovative Interfaces, Inc.

4. Panel Discussion: Issues in Paperback Binding. The state of the
economy as well as a current lack of space within libraries present
unavoidable challenges for preservation librarians. Our binding units
are certainly affected by such issues. As library budgets are being
curtailed and off-site storage planned, it is necessary for us to think
of creative solutions while still meeting the preservation needs of our
collections.

Three discussants will be talking about issues and possible solutions
related to paperback binding. John Dean, of Cornell University, will be
discussing paperback stiffening as an economical preservation solution.
Andrew Hart, from the University of North Carolina, will be talking
about deferred binding as an option. Oliver Cutshaw, of Harvard
University, will be discussing binding decisions related to preparation
for offsite storage.

5. Wrap up/Discussion of Chair for next year as the current chair will
be stepping down.

Emily Holmes
Assistant Preservation Librarian
Elmer Holmes Bobst Library