[PADG:1712] Re: conservator position at University of Kansas

Oh man, Brian, does this mean that Meg has another job?  I hope that you
are just expanding your empire!

Regards,

Yvonne

"Baird, Brian J" wrote:

> University of Kansas Libraries
>
> CONSERVATOR
>
> Application review date: June 24, 2002
> (http://www.lib.ku.edu <http://www.lib.ku.edu> )
>
> The University of Kansas Libraries invite applications for the position of
> Conservator. The Conservator will assist in the management of the Stannard
> Conservation Laboratory and assist in the education of library staff about
> new conservation treatments available. Reports to the Preservation
> Librarian.
>
> RESPONSIBILITIES:
>
> *       Perform or oversee all conservation treatments done on materials
> owned by the University of Kansas Libraries from both the general and
> special collections.
> *       Maintain strict quality control over all treatments performed in the
> conservation lab and collect, analyze, and report quantitative statistics
> for items processed in the lab.
> *       Establish workflow patterns of materials to and from the
> Conservation Labs.
> *       Assist the Preservation Librarian in providing training for Library
> staff and users on collection care and handling and assist in promoting
> sound preservation practices and principles throughout the Libraries.
> *       Maintain inventories of equipment and supplies used in the lab.
> *       Provide supervision and leadership to conservation staff.
> Additional information about the University Libraries' Preservation
> Department can be found at http://www2.lib.ku.edu/preservation
> <http://www2.lib.ku.edu/preservation> .
>
> REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:   Master's degree in a relevant discipline.
> Significant book-related library conservation experience, OR a certificate
> in book conservation and some  book-
> related library conservation experience.  Knowledge of library preservation
> and conservation treatments and technology.  Knowledge of physical and
> chemical properties of books and paper.  Ability to work effectively with
> department staff, subject librarians, and other library staff in developing
> and following correct procedures for the care and preservation of library
> collections.  Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally.
> Experience in examining library materials to determine the most appropriate
> preservation treatment on an item-by-item basis.  Conservation skills will
> be evaluated in part through examination of a portfolio of work of correctly
> applied treatment techniques of book conservation (candidates selected for
> an interview will be asked to supply a portfolio).
>
> PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:   MLS from an ALA-accredited program. Experience
> with desktop publishing software.  Conservation experience in research
> library collections conservation as well as single-item conservation
> treatment.  Supervisory experience with student conservation assistants.
>
> ANNUAL SALARY AND BENEFITS:  A highly competitive salary range is offered,
> [...]

Yvonne Carignan				Voice:  	301 405-9343
Preservation Production Group Leader	FAX:		301 314-9971
McKeldin Library			Email:	yc38@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742