[PADG:1589] Drop boxes

Hello,

Does anyone know of preservation standards for drop boxes, such as how far books should (and should not!) be allowed to drop, how thick and what kind of foam padding to use, etc?  We're having to have one custom-made because of an oddly-shaped space.  (And not having them is out of the question; as in most other academic libraries, they're a necessary evil.)  I've searched CoOL and PADG archives as well as some of the library literature with little success, but maybe there aren't any.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Rita Dockery

Rita Dockery
Preservation Librarian
British Library of Political and Economic Science
10 Portugal Street
London  WC2A 2HD
phone:  +44 (0)20 7955 6909
fax:       +44 (0)20 7955 7454