[PADG:1493] Re: paperback children's books

VCU Libraries has a Juvenile and Young Adult Literature collection which is kept
separate from the general collection. School of Education students are the
primary users but the community children also use the collection (and we have a
day-care center 1/2 block away).  It is politically the School of Education's
books so they set the parameters for our purchases and maintenance of the
collection.  Hardbacks are purchased if available.  Dust jackets are retained.
Paperbacks are bound usually as a Copi-cover product offered by our binder.

I had an active Kapco program going in the early 90's here before the Copi-cover
product was available from our binder.  The Kapco was applied primarily to art
books which were generally signature sewn and had strong bindings. Students did
the labor; it was mostly good.  A common pitfall with applying the Easy-Bind to
the inner hinges is not seating it properly in the hinge so the cover didn't
open without pulling up the first or last page.  This stresses the leaf
attachment and those bindings quickly fell apart if they were used.  Brian is
right that Kapco does nothing for the leaf attachment.  I wouldn't use Kapco on
books with single leaf attachment binding if I could help it.   I'd use it only
on signature sewn books but even then, if not correctly applied, you will have
binding failure.  I would go with Brian's suggestion of having the books
prebound with the covers laminated, which sounds like the Copi-cover process.
It is usually about the same price as an economy binding.  Copi-cover is best
done when the cover is fresh and clean.

I have had a few of the early Kapco books come back to repair in the past year
and have been disappointed in the way the Kapco ages.  The glossy cover becomes
"cloudy" and the spine develops bubbles from use.  "Cloudy" isn't the best word
but it's the best I can think of right now.   I haven't determined if the
"cloudiness" is a result of adjacent books abrading the cover, from handling, or
if it is the aging of the adhesive.  The covers hold on to dirt which increases
the "cloudiness".  Edges of the cover still fray.  Now we use Kapco on a very
limited basis, mainly for sandwiching spiral binding covers when the margins
don't allow binding.  When we have to rebind Kapco, it goes to a standard
library binding.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Patricia
--