[PADG:1475] Re: Hinge Repair

To my regret it was used at Wesleyan until the early 90's.  I spend hours
undoing the wretched stuff.  It is a stiff mend and does nothing more than
putting all the strain on the first page of the text block (the page to
which the stuff is glued).  This page then tears out of the text block.  A
vicious cycle.

Advise the public libraries to use an oxford hollow (or hollow tube) out of
either Okawara or cambric, depending on the size, weight  and use of the
book.  (For some instructions see Eric Burdett:  Craft of Bookbinding,
pp.152-154)
Michaelle Biddle
Collections Conservator & Special Projects Librarian
Wesleyan University