[PADG:1462] RE: FW: Booklock shelving system

>From the literature at the website you give, it look like the Booklock
product fits on top of existing shelving and acts as a bookend substitute,
not as freestanding shelving.  ABS (AcrylonitrileButadieneStyrene) is
modified PolyStyrene (PS), a relatively chemically stable plastic compatible
for use with artifacts according to the Canadian Conservation Institute
http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/frameset_e.shtml.  PS is commonly used for
"archival" containers for very chemically sensitive materials such as moving
picture films, so I wouldn't worry about offgassing with the product at
normal room temperatures.  I would worry about how much heat the product can
take before it deforms, collapses, melts onto books and shelving, and what
it off-gasses when heated, but if you have a good sprinkler system this may
be moot.  Your local fire department can give you advice about offgasing
under various fire conditions, and it's in their interest to know if there
are higher than usual concentrations of plastics present in your library.

Ala Rekrut
Chief, Preservation Services
Provincial Archives of Manitoba
200 Vaughan Street