[PADG:1454] Reminder: "Attributes of a Trusted Digital Repository" - Comment period coming to close

A Reminder:

Please note that the comment period for the draft report, "Attributes of a
Trusted Digital Repository: Meeting the Needs of Research Resources" is
quickly coming to a close.  Further information and access to the draft
report is contained in the original announcement which is appended below.

>From the original announcement :  "This 52-page PDF document is intended to
prompt consideration and discussion worldwide. To help achieve an
international consensus and shape next steps, we need dialog on the
standards, criteria, and mechanisms for certifying digital information
repositories. We encourage your input -- please comment to
robin.dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx by October 12, 2001. "

Comments have been received from a variety of organizations and
institutions though additional submissions are encouraged to facilitate the
redrafting and international consensus building processes. If you have not
yet had the change to submit your comments, please consider doing so within
the next week.

Thank you,

Robin

Robin L. Dale
RLG Member Programs & Initiatives
1200 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA  94041-1100

Ph: (650) 691-2238
Fax:  650.964.0943
Email: Robin.Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Robin Dale/RLG on 10/09/2001 01:50 PM -----

The second RLG-OCLC report intended to advance long-term retention of
digital research materials is now available for review and comment. You can
find "Attributes of a Trusted Digital Repository: Meeting the Needs of
Research Resources" at http://www.rlg.org/longterm/attributes01.pdf. It  is
also linked to from http://www.oclc.org/digitalpreservation and
http://www.oclc.org/presres.

This 52-page PDF document is intended to prompt consideration and
discussion worldwide. To help achieve an international consensus and shape
next steps, we need dialog on the standards, criteria, and mechanisms for
certifying digital information repositories. We encourage your input --
please comment to robin.dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx by October 12, 2001.

While intended primarily for research institutions and specifically for
libraries and archives, this report contains guidance and recommendations
applicable to any organization interested in long-term maintenance of and
continuing access to digital materials. It highlights some key strategic
issues as it focuses on practical assistance to administrators and
implementers of digital archiving services.