[PADG:1244] Food and Drinks in Library stacks

An archives within a university library has asked me to post this enquiry:
The library director has claimed that there is a trend in libraries toward
allowing food and drinks in stack areas.  This seems so contrary to most
preservation thinking that it's hard to believe.  The archives continues to
prohibit food and drinks, but is naturally concerned about the increased
risk of pest infestation (it doesn't sound like pest management has been
increased in conjunction with the change in policy) from the surrounding
stacks.  Is this a trend in fact? Has anyone else run into this?
Please feel free to respond to me off the List.  Thank you

Ala Rekrut
Head, Preservation Services
Provincial Archives of Manitoba
200 Vaughan Street