[PADG:1196] Re: Binding paperbacks

Barbara,
Thanks for the info.  I will read up on the articles written by the people you mention.
Thanks again for your response,
--Diane Westerfield/Loyola University Chicago

>>> Barbara.Sagraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/12/01 01:26PM >>>
Diane,
Your question about binding paperbacks gives me the opportunity to make a plug for an upcoming ALA/ALCTS/PARS program which is being co-sponsored by the ALCTS Commercial Technical Services Committee.  On Saturday, Saturday, June 16, 2001 from 2-4 pm (location TBA) at the ALA annual conferance in San Francisco will be the program "To Bind or Not to Bind: The Case for Paperbacks"

Panelists Joan Stephens (Georgia State Univ.), Brian Baird (U. of Kansas), Andrew Hart (U. of North Carolina) and Janet Gertz (Columbia University) will discuss their research and offer their own lively perspective on binding. (I'm the program chair-- that's my part in all this.)

I'd suggest checking published library literature by the panelists.  Joan has a couple articles (co-authored w/ Roger Presley) about binding only damaged softcover monographs.  Andrew had an article that was being reviewed for publication (as of jan. 2000) about deferred binding.

Barb Sagraves
Preservation Services Librarian
Dartmouth College Library
Hanover, NH