[PADG:1139] Re: acquisition of retrospective materials

Please note attached the general procedures used at Cornell to address the
problems described below.

At 08:55 AM 01/11/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>A colleague of ours, Julie Page at UCSD, suggested we send this query to
>PADG as well as the Cons DistList.
>

>We have a query regarding the acquisition of retrospective material
>and its impact on the Preservation Department.  Much of the material
>(pre-1950) is brittle or in adhesive bindings where the adhesive is
>breaking down.  We want to work with the collection development
>selectors and help them determine the 'real' cost of adding the
>material, which often includes protective enclosures or
>reformatting.
>
>Do other libraries or institutions have guidelines that flag these
>acquisitions as likely to need attention before being added to the
>collection?  What are you doing to deal with this problem?
>
>Wendy Jones
>Charlotte Payne
>Preservation Dept., Shields Library
>University of California, Davis 95606
>530-752-6040

BrittleFlow.wpd

John F. Dean
Director
Department of Preservation and Conservation
215 Olin Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Telephone: (607)255-9687