[PADG:1137] Mass Deacidification

Janet,

Penn State and six other CIC institutions are currently using the
Bookkeepers process.  Several of us have been PTLP customers from years,
like Northwestern.  Others of us have at least one year of experience.   As
you know, the PSU experience has been documented in LRTS (v. 43, no.3; July
1999) .  I'd be glad to talk to you about our experience or if you like I
can give you contact names from the CIC.

See you at ALA.

Sue

At 05:02 PM 1/10/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Columbia University Libraries is undertaking a pilot mass
>deacidification project with Preservation Technologies using their
>Bookkeeper process to treat Chinese monographs printed on acidic paper.
>  We also hope to treat Urdu monographs next year.
>
>I would be interested in hearing from other libraries who are
>currently employing mass deacidification, or plan to in the near
>future.  What materials are you treating, and what was your decision
>process in choosing those materials?  Did avoiding duplication with
>other deacidification efforts play a role in your decision?  Do you
>put a note in the 583 field to identify deacidified materials?
>

>Janet Gertz
>Director for Preservation
>Columbia University Libraries
>101c Butler Library
>535 West 114th Street
>New York, NY 10027
>212 854-5757
>fax 212-854-3290
>gertz@xxxxxxxxxxxx

**********************************
L. Suzanne Kellerman
Judith O. Sieg Chair for Preservation
Head, Preservation Department
University Libraries
The Pennsylvania State University
C602 Pattee Library
University Park, PA  16802-1805

Phone and Voice Messages: (814) 863-4696
Fax:  (814) 865-8769
Email:  LSK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx