[PADG:960] Asbestos Abatement Query

One of our professional libraries will be undergoing asbestos abatement and
ceiling tile replacement from mid-May to early July. The size of the collection
has led their administration to decide not to move the collection off-site
during the work. Therefore, each of the fifty-two stack ranges on the floor will
be sealed with polyethylene sheets for approximately two weeks of the project.
I'm concerned that with the HVAC off and the stacks sealed tightly enough to
allow asbestos abatement, the conditions inside will support mold growth. (After
abatement is complete we can unseal the plastic, although we will still want to
keep the ranges draped to control dust from the ceiling replacement project.)

I'm considering silica gel or something similar in each of the stack ranges to
lower the humidity inside the envelope, since I cannot control the temperature.
Has anyone else done this? Or, does someone have an alternative to suggest?

Thanks,
Winston Atkins
Preservation Officer
Duke University Libraries