more about labels

This discussion about labels couldn't have come at a more opportune time for
us!  When I took over Physical Processing several years ago, we were using
Selin labels manually created on a QuietWriter typewriter.  When OCLC
launched its labeling program, we began using it for some things, and
continued to use the typewriter for others.  The OCLC program proved not to
work well for us, mostly due to local cataloging practices and the
tremendous amount of wasted tape generated by the printer set up as compared
to the typewriter.  Preservation and Cataloging have agreed to phase out the
OCLC labels when the notched tape we have in stock is gone.  This phase out
has been hastened by a broken, non-replaceable part on the dot matrix
printer.  Now the typewriter is acting up.  In short, we have to do
something fairly quickly.  I'd like to know more about how others generate
labels, where labeling and label generation fits into your workflow, what
kind of labels you use and what your satisfaction level is.  Any info others
can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Beth Schobernd
Preservation Librarian
Milner Library, Illinois State University
Campus Box 8900
Normal IL  61790-8900
309-438-7463 (voice)
309-438-3676 (fax)