Fwd: Heritage Preservation Update

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:21:50 -0400
To: artdocjb@xxxxxxx
From: membership <membership@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Heritage Preservation Update

Heritage Preservation has re-designed the home page and numerous other
sections of its web site.  Check it out regularly, especially for its
newest feature, "Preservation Project of the Month."  We welcome
suggestions from our members for future Projects of the Month.

The House and Senate Interior Appropriations Committees both voted
recently
to discontinue funding next year for the Save America's Treasures
grants
program.  Mrs. Clinton recently announced $30,000,000 in grants from
this
year's program, but some committee members were apparently not
impressed.
The Senate report complained about "projects of questionable national
significance" and "an inexplicably hasty selection process that
limited
awareness of the program."  As we learn more about whether there are
any
prospects for reviving funding for the program on the House or Senate
Floor
or in conference we will let you know.

In other actions, the Senate voted to increase NEH and NEA by
$1,000,000
each, and the Office of Museum Services at IMLS by $500,000.  The
House
subcommittee voted no increase for either of the endowments and an
increase
of $995,000 for Office of Museum Services.