From: John L. Sharpe III [mailto:codex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 11:57 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Quote?

Can anyone help me find the source of the following quotation:

"Not in that he bindeth books--for the fair binding is the final crown =
and flower of painful achievement--but because he bindeth not:  because =
the weary weeks lapse by and turn to months, and the months to years, =
and still the binder bindeth not:  and the heart grows sick with hope =
deferred.  Each morn the maiden binds her hair, each spring the =
honeysuckle binds the cottage porch, each autumn the harvester binds his =
sheaves, each winter the iron frost binds lake and stream, and still the =
bookbinder bindeth not.  Then a secret voice whispereth:  'Arise, be a =
man and slay him! Take him grossly, full of bread, with all his crimes =
broadblown as flush as May; at gaing, swearing, or about some act that =
hath no relish of salvation in it!' But when the deed is done, and the =
floor strewn with fragments of binder--still the books remain =
unbound..."

Thanks for your help.
John Sharpe
codex@xxxxxxxx