PQ&TDG: Paper and Page Mending

PHYSICAL QUALITY AND TREATMENT DISCUSSION GROUP
Saturday, June 26
9-11 a.m.
Marriott:  LaGalerie 5

Paper and Page Mending: The Realities of Context

What factors influence and guide our selection of materials
for page and paper repairs of general circulating library
materials? Does an institution exist that can afford the
time and money necessary to use Japanese paper and paste on
all their materials? Does anyone want to? Can we afford not
to? And what about those glossy journals? Is anyone happy
with the heat-set tissues currently available? Are they any
better than or equivalent to "archival" tape?  What would
be ideal? And what keeps us from that ideal? What
alternative(s) do we have?

At PQ&TDG,  we will explore the topic of mending
paper-based materials in general circulating collections.
The session will include brief overviews of the composition
and history of pressure sensitive tapes and heat-set
tissue, and we will seek, in small discussion groups, to
grapple with the questions raised above by sharing our
experiences and evaluating our repair strategies.

Ethel Hellman
Collections Conservator/Program Manager
Rm B0213, McKeldin Library
University of Maryland